Make a flood plan
A flood can strike within days or even hours notice — are you ready with a plan to keep your family and your business safe? Creating a flood plan in advance allows your family, business, or community respond quickly and make smart decisions to protect lives and property in the event of a flood nearby.
A flood plan can give you extra critical time and prevent confusion as to where to go, who to call, and what to protect.
What goes into a flood plan?
- Know your closest evacuation center
- Sign up for emergency alerts from the City of Boston. You can receive alerts in various languages (if you do not want to link/use your social media page to sign up simple select the option that says "NO, I would like to review and submit my information")
- Prepare an emergency flood kit including a first aid kit, flashlights, waterproof blankets, water and food. Take stock of valuables, equipment, and sentimentals that must be raised to higher levels.
- Discuss a plan for contacting family members and others in an emergency, and safeguard important documents including personal ID and insurance policies.
- Learn more about creating a flood plan at the Boston Public Health Commission's page.